Today was my first serious attempt to actually study for my impending exams (they arrive next week, so maybe impending isn't a very accurate adverb), and I spent it in school with Charmaine, Shereen and Bernard at the arts canteen trying to make sense of a really dry sociology reading about declining rates of marriage in Asia. I really detest sociology so much, its flouncy claims and theories trying to dress up things we already know as theoretical frameworks for understanding society- I mean, seriously: if a particular society has parents actively arrange marriages, there will be more marriages in said society?
What transpired from today, as I'm sure anyone who's spent more than 5 minutes with girls before will know, was 3 hours of complete unproductiveness, the only thing even remotely sociological emerging from it being long discussions of who we would marry/shoot/shag and why, and ogling of cute boys on facebook. We then proceeded to Chatterbox to chat with Leonard and other seniors, and I discovered that not only are many of them food lovers, they love to COOK, and with such aplomb too! I have found nirvana in USP, seeing as to how the only other response to my kitchen-love from some damned fool at FASS was: "eh, you like cooking ah? That's not normal leh, guys don't normally like cooking what." Oh my god, these people are the bedrock of good grades in FASS, thank goodness for the bell curve.
FWARGH, this was precisely why I didn't study in groups back in JC. I can't wait for these damned examinations to be over so I can focus (more legitimately) on Christmas baking, novels and other happy things.
If only gossip counted towards grades. It really should, seeing as how gossip, and not love or sex or religion, is the one thing that unites all humanity. Gossip helps you make friends by slathing on dirt about old friends and people nobody likes, it is a crucial life skill and one that deserves far more academic attention and instruction than is currently accorded by our educational institutions.
Anyway, this being school-less reading week and all, I shall hole myself up at home and bake sourdough bread amidst frantic reading of boring readings. I really really realllllyyy regret taking the intro module to political science- it is dry and technical beyond belief, and the study of politics just convicts you as to the general stupidity of Man and his never-ending search for power over others. Politics helps you understand God and why he doesn't exist- God is the invention of people too innately powerless to exert power over others, God is the original example du jour of bullshit that worked, and we invoke God every time we shit out essays and get As anyway. I cannot stand political science and will never understand what force of hubris made me declare with such vigour to everyone who asked that I intend to major in the damned subject. I can't wait to start on my lit modules and will meantime spend myself in self-flagellation for not having taken the intro this semester.
Ah, Joel, such stupidity.

No comments:
Post a Comment