Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Things doodubbledoowop

This is looking set to be a most hair-raising weekend. Juling's party is on tomorrow night, and Itotally forgot about the DnD meeting at school I have to attend in the afternoon, which equals madhatter tumbling about for a taxi from NUS to Pasir Ris as soon as the meeting's over to remove, rinse, drain, dry and roast the turkey in time for dinner AND then transporting the damned thing to Juling's house. I think I might use a big cardboard box for the purpose. In addition to that, my brother wants me to make potato salad for some gathering of his tomorrow, and I haven't gone grocery-shopping for both the turkey and other miscellanies yet. It is hair-brained and BAD PLANNING at its best. 

GAH. I sometimes wish I could trust other people to do the cooking for me and, indeed, my family is more than capable of rising to the occasion, but I'm just too much of an attention-whore. 

Anyway, below is the song I wrote for Chelsea, who left for Vancouver a few days ago to read psychology. It is a most ridiculous song. Wanting to be original, I intended to simply write some lyrics and ham up some music on Finale to paste a score in her goodbye scrapbook, but I found myself actually writing a melody to go with the lyrics in an attempted homage to Bernstein and Sondheim's strange and fluctuating tunes. It turned out to be pretty singable, too, despite the augmented 2nds, 4ths and 5ths splattered about very gratuitously. It is a song that warns against the liberal excesses of Western society in music that is decidedly grounded in 20th century Western styles, it is a silly, stupid song. The piano part is absolute rubbish, but given how fond I have become of the whole thing, I might rework it into something marginally decent sometime.




I really have become explicitly fond of this song, and it's inspired me to embark on a grand and ambitious scheme to write a musical called "Singapore!" which sets into music (less chirpy, patriotic and squeaky-clean than Dick Lee's) songs about frustration, migration, love, joy, money, sex and homosex that so paint our country its delightful shade of red and white. Yes, it is already frothing in my mind.  

No comments: